Ukrainian Refugees wishing to come to the UK

Ukrainians applying for a British sponsor through the official Homes for Ukraine Scheme

This information is for you if you are a Ukrainian national, don’t have a sponsor’s name and are seeking refuge in the UK. 

The Government has produced a list of Recognised Providers - voluntary and community sector organisations who can help guests from Ukraine find sponsors in the UK. Please see:

A summary of the process of registering for the Homes for Ukraine scheme produced by the Government is here – in English, in Ukrainian and in Russian. Check current government information as to whether you will need to book and attend an appointment at a visa application centre and find a centre here.

Security checks for both Ukrainian nationals and the UK sponsor will be undertaken as part of the visa application process. Biometric checks will be made after you arrive in the UK to avoid delays.

A Ukrainian translation of the visa application form and guidance notes is here:

Applying to come to Scotland or Wales

If you wish to come to Scotland, there is no need to find a sponsor.   

  • Go to
  • Read the guidance there, then click “apply online”
  • After answering questions about whether you have a Ukrainian international passport, you will reach a page headed “Apply for the Ukraine Scheme”
  • Read the guidance there, then click “Apply now”
  • On the next screen, choose “Ukraine sponsorship scheme”, then “I am being sponsored by an organisation”
  • Click “Save and continue”
  • On the next page, headed “Sponsoring Organisation”, choose “The Scottish Government” from the dropdown box
  • Continue with your application.

The Welsh government has also introduced a ‘super sponsor’ scheme for businesses or organisations wanting to help Ukrainian refugees coming to Wales.

What you can bring to the UK

This information is for you if you are a Ukrainian national arriving in the UK. It details what you can bring.  

You will not usually need to stop or speak to a customs officer when you bring your personal belongings into the UK. However, there are rules that you need to know about if you are arriving with any of the following:  a personal vehicle, a pet, prohibited or restricted goods or £10,000 or more in cash (or the equivalent in another currency). For more details see: Bringing personal items to the UK as a Ukrainian refugee

Staying safe when travelling

You should make very clear arrangements with your sponsor for travelling to meet them, and always be aware that there may be some who will try to take advantage of vulnerable people. These leaflets in English and Ukrainian provide useful guidance on staying safe with helpline numbers for various countries in Europe which you can use if you feel unsafe.

When in the UK, if you feel unsafe or feel that you might be exploited, call 999 immediately.

Welcoming Ukrainian nationals on entry to the UK

The Government and local authorities have set up welcome centres at many of the key points of entry to the UK who can provide help and advice, as well as assistance if any problem arises with meeting your sponsor.

To help Ukrainian nationals travelling to the UK, free onward travel is being offered on National Rail and other bus and coach services to get you to a safe place.  

You will need to show your Ukrainian passport and a boarding pass or ticket showing your arrival into the UK. The offer is valid across all train operators in England, Scotland and Wales, and you will have 48 hours from arrival in the UK to complete your journey.   

The same free travel applies across London using TfL's London Underground, Docklands Light Railway (DLR), bus and tram services so you can reach your final destination as quickly as possible.​​​​​​​ 

Settling into the UK

The DLUHC has produced a succinct 'week one guidance' document with more accessible information about services that Ukrainians may need in their first week in the UK. The Welcome guide for Ukrainians arriving in the UK remains available, containing information on getting used to life in the UK, finding a home, access essential public services, healthcare, finding work, childcare and education services.

On 9 May the Home Office published Immigration information for Ukrainians in the UK: your next steps detailing what action Ukrainians need to take after arriving in the UK to confirm their immigration status, and how to demonstrate their status to access work, and the benefits and services they are entitled to.

Other Home Office publications are available here.

Reporting a war crime

The InternationalCriminal Court (ICC) has opened an investigation into war crimes committed in Ukraine and is being supported by the Metropolitan Police’s War Crimes Team, who are gathering evidence in the UK. If you have been sent messages, photos or videos from Ukraine, or if you have witnessed or been a victim of a war crime, then you are invited to report your evidence to the War Crimes Team.

General information about what the Metropolitan Police is doing is here. The online reporting portal is here. All information is treated in confidence and the War Crimes Team can also provide access to counselling services if necessary.